1. Sit down for an interview. This is one of the best ways to assess a solicitor’s abilities. Most London solicitors are happy to provide a short initial consultation at no charge. During this meeting, be sure to ask these about the following:
• The solicitor’s experience in your particular type of legal matter
• Length of practice
• Track record of success
• Percentage of caseload dedicated to your type of legal issue
• Fees and how are they’re structured, as well as additional costs (postage and filing fees, etc.
• How you will be informed of the inform you of developments in your case
2. Look beyond the fees. A higher fee doesn’t mean that a solicitor is more qualified, in the same way that rock bottom fees may signal problems such as incompetency or inexperience.
3. Conduct a background check. Confirm that the solicitor has indeed completed a Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice and is in good standing. Always check references—call them and talk to them. If you can find peer review ratings about the Harrow solicitors online, even better. It can give you an objective look at the solicitor’s professional ability and ethical standards.
4. Request a brief tour of the solicitor’s office. Go beyond the conference room or office where you met with the solicitor. Does the office seem efficient, orderly, and well-run? Is there enough support staff, and are they friendly and helpful? Is the location of the office easily accessible from where you live or work? Watch for red flags such as unoccupied offices, unhappy staff members, mass disarray, and unreturned phone calls.
By keeping in mind these factors, you can choose a solicitor with the legal skills as well as personal qualities to best serve your needs.